FIVE Ways to Take Action During Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month — an annual campaign dedicated to driving awareness and inspiring action to help end hunger in America, both at a national scale and in local communities.
In central and southern Arkansas, 1 in 5 people are food-insecure, which means they struggle to find sufficient access to nutritious food. When it comes to children, 1 in 4 are facing hunger, and in some rural areas, it’s even higher. It’s startling numbers like this that rank Arkansas second in the nation for food insecurity.
How YOU Can Help:
Mobilizing your community through any of the following actions below will help shine a light on the many individuals that are facing impossible choices. As individuals, nonprofits, businesses and government entities, each of us have role to play in eliminating hunger.
- “Go Orange” by changing your profile picture frame! Click on your profile picture, tap the camera icon if you’re on mobile or “update” if you’re on a desktop computer. Search “Feeding America” and select one of our frames!
- Brush up on the latest hunger facts so you can debunk the myths. Learn about hunger in your community by visiting MaptheMealGap.org and check the interactive map to zoom in on your specific town or county. Read and share these Five Myths About Hunger on social media using #HungerActionMonth.
- Talk to your children about hunger in Arkansas. Feeding America’s Family Action Plan contains fun activities that will help you talk to your child about hunger and ways to take action in your community.
- Use Your Voice! Through actions big and small, we all can take steps to move the needle on hunger. Visit FeedingAmericaAction.org for steps to become a local hunger advocate.
- Volunteer! Our volunteers make our mission possible, and we have weekday shifts available in our warehouse or shifts available at upcoming mobile distributions. Join us and see hunger fighting in action! See available shifts here.
Whatever you choose to do, you can share what you learn during Hunger Action Month on your social media channels and tag @ARFoodbank or use #BeAPossibilitarian. We can’t wait to see what this month holds for you. Check out our 2021 Hunger Action Month Calendar to see all of the ways you can get involved!